The Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) is available to all ESRC-funded Grand Union DTP studentship holders, and is a flexible fund to which students can apply for support for a range of expenses related to their research.
The types of expenses which may be supported through the scheme include:
- UK fieldwork expenses
- conferences and summer schools
- language training courses usually undertaken in the UK prior to an overseas fieldwork trip
- reimbursement of interpreters, guides, assistants
- survey costs eg printing, stationery, telephone calls
- purchase of small items of equipment eg cameras, tape recorders, films, cassettes
- gifts for local informants
- books and other reading material not available through libraries
To apply for funding you should submit an application at least 4 weeks in advance of any costs being incurred (if you have concerns about meeting this timeframe, please contact your local DTP office). Please ensure you read the guidelines for further details on the scheme and applying for support.
As per ESRC guidelines, the DTP is not permitted to fund any travel (or associated costs) to areas or countries the UK Government or Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against visiting.
Application guidance Apply now
Oxford students: ready to make an expenses claim? You can find the claims guidance below and a link to take you to the eExpenses claims login page. You will need your single sign on (SSO) to log in.
Claim guidance Online claim site