The Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) is available to all ESRC-funded Grand Union DTP studentship holders, and is a flexible fund to which students can apply for reimbursement for a wide range of expenses that both they and their supervisors deem to be in direct support of the student's research. Rather than being an individual research allowance, it is a pooled fund to which ESRC students can apply for relevant research expenses up to a cap of £3000.
The following list, though not exhaustive, will provide an idea as to what expenses can be reimbursed from RTSG:
- UK fieldwork expenses
- UK, EU and overseas conferences and summer schools
- language training courses usually undertaken in the UK prior to an overseas fieldwork trip
- reimbursement of interpreters, guides, assistants
- survey costs eg printing, stationery, telephone calls
- purchase of small items of equipment eg cameras, tape recorders, films, cassettes
- gifts for local informants
- books and other reading material not available through libraries
Further information on RTSG can be found in the guidance documentation and ESRC postgraduate funding guide.