Social Science of the Internet (2015 cohort)
My current doctoral project focuses on digital curation and digital literacy skills in UK visual art professional practice. The working title is: ‘Creative connections: supporting sustainable artistic practice through digital skills enhancement in contemporary visual art’.
This work is supported by DACS, the Oxford Internet Institute, the Ruskin School of Art and the ESRC.
I am interested in digital curation and digital information literacy, both theoretically and in practice. I’m interested in information practices within specific research areas and professions. I have worked for a number of years as a researcher in the fields of digital curation – including digital preservation – and digital information literacy. In particular I have been involved in policy and infrastructure development in research data management, that is to say the digital curation of digital research data assets. Much of the current work in these areas is focused on ‘the sciences’ – whilst this is important, it is not the whole story. The creative arts, liberal arts, and humanities also rely upon rigorous research and can benefit from digital curation skills and competences.
Work and education:
- 2015-present: Associate researcher, Humanities Advanced Technology and Information Institute (HATII), University of Glasgow
- 2011-15: Preservation researcher, Digital Curation Centre, including project manager of pilot UK research data discovery service http://www.dcc.ac.uk/projects/research-data-registry-pilot
- 2011-12: Production lead, EU Leonardo da Vinci-funded DigCurV curriculum framework for digital curation skills and competences in EU cultural heritage organisations http://www.digcur-education.org/
- 2009-10: Training lead, EU FP6 Planets digital preservation project, http://www.planets-project.eu
- 2009: Project co-manager, digitalpreservationeurope (DPE) ‘Digiman’ – original cartoon https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPbQQpwOWIuxR6AzJnFvqFw
- 2007-15: Researcher, Humanities Advanced Technology and Information Institute (HATII), University of Glasgow
- 2007-8: Research admin, AHRC Arts and Humanities Data Service – Performing Arts subject centre, University of Glasgow
- 1996: MA University of Glasgow
I currently co-chair the Research Data Alliance (RDA) Interest Group on Education and Training for the Handling of Research Data, the RDA Interest Group on Archive and Information Professionals for Research Data, and the Expert Liaison Group for Data Experts for the EU EDISON project. I regularly review for publishers and conferences, and am an ex-chair of the Theatre and Performance Research Association Working Group on Documenting of Performance.
I am on Twitter at @LM_HATII and my ORCID is orcid.org/0000-0002-5214-4466.